Thursday 2 October 2008

Selling Seeds












A woman dreamt she walked into a brand new shop in the marketplace and, to her surprise, found God behind the counter.

“What do you sell here?” she asked.

“Everything your heart desires,” said God.

Hardly daring to believe what she was hearing, the woman decided to ask for the best things a human being could wish for. “I want peace of mind and love and happiness and wisdom and freedom from fear,” she said. Than as an after thought, she added, “Not just for me. For everyone on earth.”

God smiled, “I think you’ve got me wrong, my dear. I don’t sell fruits here. Only seeds.” (Anthony de Mello)

Last assembly I talked about how much we don’t know. Which is very important: we are humble in the face of our deficit in knowledge. But let us not denigrate and dishonor what we do know! Because we don’t know everything doesn’t mean we know nothing! In comparison to what there is to know I know very little. But I do know some things.

In comparison to the work there is to do for the good of the world, what I can do seems very little. But I can do some things, and some things well. I might plant a seed only, so small, but someone else will water it. Who knows, when I have long past that little seed might be a great tree.

Finish with Matt 13:31-32

Jesus told them this parable: ‘God’s kingdom is like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in his field; 32it is the smallest of all the seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.’


No comments:

Post a Comment